At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers users to perform at a higher level through a deeper understanding of their bodies and daily lives.
As an Android Engineer at WHOOP, you will own the development and maintenance of our Android connectivity stack. The WHOOP app provides users with lots of data analysis while also continuously streaming data from our proprietary Bluetooth peripheral all day every day. This means the app is not only responsible for the transport of large amounts of data between the peripheral and our backend server, but also requires complex views, visualizations, and interfaces to give the user insights into the data in near-real time. The combination of these requirements presents an interesting set of challenges unique to the WHOOP system.
- Improve the customer’s connectivity experience for continuous data uploads and downloads to enable timely and actionable insights
- Proactively works with product management and customer support to invent new ways to diagnose and resolve issues at scale
- Identify and fix defects in our Kotlin/Java code base
- Build new Bluetooth Low Energy hardware integrations
- 1+ years of experience in building, testing, debugging, and delivering Android apps in a professional environment
- Deep passion and empathy for customers and willing to be hands on
- Excellent knowledge of Android Studio and OS level interfaces (Android 4.4 and newer) such as Bluetooth, Battery Saving, and Airplane Mode states
- Solid computer science knowledge including state machines, algorithm analysis, OOP, and data structures
- Experience communicating with a RESTful backend
- Experience with Kotlin coroutines or RxJava
- Experience building custom Android applications, UIs, and controls with an eye for best practices
- Experience implementing high quality features with Material Design
- Working knowledge of git