**Remote (Europe) | Full- time & Permanent role | Outdoor navigation app | 15+M users | 70 employees + 40 freelances | squad structure**
**Senior Backend Developer/ Data Scientist @ komoot (Kotlin/Java/Scala) & Python**
@ komoot We are building the best outdoor navigation planner and the biggest outdoor community and simply inspire people to explore more of the outdoors.
**15 million users | 100k 5* reviews**
We are now searching for a Senior Backend Engineer/ Data Scientist who would like to take their skills to the next level, love to find simple and smart solutions to complex problems and focuses on delivering impact.
Komoot possesses a unique dataset of user-generated content, ranging from GPS data from tours, uploaded photos, and tips, to implicit and explicit user feedback. To get the biggest value from this raw data, we need your excellent software and analytical skills.
The challenges include automatic evaluation and classification of our user-generated content as well as innovative approaches to assembling them into consumable inspiration for users (e.g. auto-generated tour suggestions tailored to users’ sport and location).
You’ll wrap up your algorithms into clean and scalable microservices in our modern cloud environment.
We believe that innovations based on data science will reinforce and extend our leadership in the outdoor market and your role will be decisive for komoot’s success
**What you will do**
* Work closely with our data scientists, web and mobile developers, designers, copywriters and product managers
* Discuss product improvements, technical possibilities and road maps
* Investigate and evaluate data science approaches for product enhancements (you can count on the support of experienced data scientists)
* Turn prototypes into resilient and scalable REST APIs and background workers
* Deploy and monitor your code in our AWS Cloud
**You will be successful in this position if you**
* Have a passion for finding pragmatic and smart solutions to complex problems
* Have 3+ years of professional experience in backend development in the cloud
* Have 2+ years of professional experience in Kotlin/Java/Scala
* Have 2+ years of professional experience in Python
* Know SQL and NoSQL
* Have a solid understanding of math and statistics
* Have a solid understanding of data science fundamentals
* Master Jupyter, pandas, NumPy, matplotlib/seaborn, scikit-learn
* Bonus: BigData experience (Spark, Presto, Hadoop)
* Bonus: Infrastructure as Code
* Bonus: Deployment, CI and monitoring
* Have strong communication and team skills
* Have a hands-on attitude and are highly self-driven
For more information you can click the apply link which will direct you to our website.
To find out more about how we recruit people/ salary etc you can follow this link: https://www.komoot.com/jobs-process
How to Apply
If this sounds like you we would love to hear from you.
Please follow the apply link and send us:
* Your CV
* A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot
* Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, PDFs, Slideshare, etc.)
* Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one